understanding the basics of artificial intelligence: Machines make work easier for human beings. But conventional machines are all about mechanically repeating their functions as designed. A new age of machines has evolved and these can intelligently perform more complicated tasks. This is what artificial intelligence is all about. AI has been a hot topic among anyone who stays up to date with ICT trends.
What is artificial intelligence?
AI or artificial intelligence is about making machines smarter. Using sophisticated algorithms, machines are tuned to mimic human cognitive functions. From decision-making to learning and adapting to changing environments, there are different ways in which intelligence is integrated into machines. This is, therefore, a technology that can be used for offering smart solutions for companies and finds numerous applications in various sectors.
To know better about what AI is and how it can be applied in various segments, one should know about the 3 stages of AI –
1. Artificial narrow intelligence:
As a rudimentary form of artificial intelligence, this is also known as weak AI considering the limited possibilities it offers. It is about improving the machine’s abilities in performing a single basic task. The limitation to a few functional areas shows how basic AGI is among the 3 stages of AI. Without self-awareness, these systems simply take statistically accurate decisions. This level of AI implementation has been around for a long time now. Chess applications on the computer are simple examples of ANI. Basic image recognition based applications, as well as self-driving cars, fall in this group.
2. Artificial general intelligence:
Current day AI systems aim at perfecting AGI or artificial general intelligence. These systems are able to flex the structure to exhibit better problem-solving capabilities. The reasoning abilities of AGI is what makes it much better than ANI. With AGI it is possible to create ad hoc systems that focus on multiple functional areas.
3. Artificial super intelligence:
These are self-learning systems and super-intelligent systems capable of surpassing human intelligence. Unlike the other types of AI, this one goes beyond mimicking human intelligence. Systems with ASI are capable of taking decisions independently, and they are much faster and more efficient as well. ASI is currently a distant possibility, and such self-aware systems are currently not in the scope.
Applications of AI
· Crucial sections of an enterprise like data center management can be automated efficiently with artificial intelligence. From planning the capacity to analyzing risks better and efficiently maintaining the ideal ambiance in data centers, there are multiple ways in which AI can help.
· AI is also playing a vital role in the energy sector today. Most of the smart city implementations involve the use of AI to work towards energy efficiency. Smart energy systems consist of using AI for better management of smart grids handling sustainable energy sources.
· Now that Cloud storage is chosen over flash storage and other traditional storage solutions, AI plays a more relevant role. Artificial intelligence helps in strengthening the security of cloud storage. Businesses can benefit from the connected network & infrastructure that AI can help establish.
· Smart resource management becomes easier with AI.
· The manufacturing sector, retail, banking, hospitality, healthcare, and nearly every industry can benefit in some way from the incorporation of AI-based infrastructure. Automation of the redundant activities could be one of the easiest applications of AI. As technology evolves continuously, making a business infrastructure robust becomes possible with artificial intelligence. In almost all sectors, the ability to learn from the newly evolving threats and strengthen security systems becomes easier with AI integration. With such endless possibilities, this technology has grown to become more than a fad, and it is here to stay for a long time.
Last modified: December 29, 2020